Made with oats & spelt flakes, dried fruits & nuts this recipe is filled with all the goodness of a perfect breakfast.
• 3 cups rolled oats (I used a combination of spelt and regular oats)
• ⅓ cup chopped almonds (you can substitute this with hazelnuts, walnuts, or pecans)
+ a few extras to make slivers to add on top
• ¼ cup chopped pistachios
• ⅓ dried chopped coconut
• 1 cup combined: sliced dried figs + chopped dates + raisins (you can use any dried fruit you like here)
• 1 tsp cinnamon powder
• ¼ - ½ tsp cardamom powder (depending on how strong a flavor you want)
• ½ tsp nutmeg powder
• ⅓ cup neutral oil
• 1½ tsp vanilla extract
• 3 tbsp honey (you can add in maple syrup to make it vegan, and add more if you want it sweeter)
• ½ tsp coarse sea salt
Preheat your oven to 350° F.
In an oven-safe pan mix in all the dry ingredients (except the slivered almonds and dried coconut) and pour into your baking dish. I used a shallow baking dish instead of a baking tray.
In another bowl whisk together the oil, honey, and vanilla until completely combined, add this to the dry ingredients, and mix until everything is well coated.
Bake for 18 - 20 mins, stirring the granola a few times to allow it to brown evenly.
Add in the dried coconut, mix and bake for another 3 minutes. When the granola is still slightly warm mix in the dried fruits so they have a chance to soften and meld with the rest of the ingredients.
Stores well in an airtight container for about 2 weeks.
I like mine with a big dollop of unsweetened yogurt and fresh fruit. The sweet and salty granola is the perfect contrast to the cold yogurt and sweet fruit!