A beautiful fusion of the different elements in Indian street food with the delicious Mexican snack. Crispy stone-ground tortilla chips topped with layers of sharp cheeses, starchy potatoes & chickpeas. All topped off with fresh-cut onions & tomatoes. And garnished with a tamarind date & spicy cilantro chutneys.
Nachos are one of my all-time favorite snacks, what’s not to love, crispy tortilla chips coated with a melty layer of cheese topped with delicious veggies & beans! I mean YUMM! might just be an understatement.
Nachos for me are comfort food and I have a little tradition that a friend of mine introduced me to. Every month or so after a long day at work I come home and make a batch of these for myself, a little self-care Friday tradition that we started to enjoy.
So, for Cinco de Mayo this year I decided to put a little twist on the classic nachos and add a little Indian flair to them and thus came Chaatos. A beautiful fusion of the different elements in Indian street food with the delicious Mexican dish.
Crispy stone-ground tortilla chips topped with layers of sharp cheeses, starchy potatoes & chickpeas. All topped off with fresh-cut onions & tomatoes. And, instead of the pico de gallo & salsa, we have a sweet & tangy tamarind date chutney & a spicy cilantro chutney to top these delicious toasted cheesy chips.
A fun & delicious little Indian spin on the classic snack!
• 12 ounces tortilla chips
• 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, grated
• 3/4 cup Sharp Cheddar, grated (an Emmenthal, Gruyère, or an aged Gouda work as well)
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 1 tomato, chopped
• 1 small carrot, grated (optional)
• 1/2 cup boiled potato, diced
• 1/2 cup canned chickpeas, drained & rinsed
• 1/4 cup tamarind date chutney(garnish)
• 1/4 cup spicy cilantro chutney(garnish)
• 1 - 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice (garnish)
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder (garnish)
• 1/2 teaspoon chaat masala (garnish)
• 1/4 teaspoon amchur powder, a dry mango powder used to add tang to a dish (garnish)
• 3 tablespoons roasted peanuts (garnish, optional)
• 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped (garnish)
• 1 fresh jalapeño, sliced (garnish)
• 3 tablespoons sev (garnish)
Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with some parchment paper & coat with some nonstick spray. Lay out the tortilla chips in a single layer on the baking sheet and top with the chickpeas, potato, & cheese.
Place in the oven & bake until the cheese is bubbling & melted.
Top with onions, tomatoes, cilantro, tamarind chutney, cilantro chutney, roasted peanuts, cumin powder, chaat masala, amchur powder, sev, & jalapeño. Add in lime juice and serve immediately.